Wednesday, January 25, 2012

And now here's Bob with the weather...


I suppose after last year we're all a bit more alert when the Bureau of Meteorology refer to rain in terms of being an "event".

So what's happening in South-East Queensland at the moment is plenty of rain. 100mm a day with no sign of it letting up over the next few days. The day before yesterday there was a dog on a surf board on a flooded street. Yesterday was a little less light hearted - there were lots of flooded roads and some cars went under in flood-prone areas like Toombul. The good news for me is that Wivenhoe Dam (the big Dam protecting the Brisbane River from drastic flooding and consequently my flat which I've just finished renovating) is only 75% full as of yesterday - the absolute capacity is 200%. Last year it got dangerously close to 200% but I am - erm - anxiously confident that this year they will have the benefit of hindsight and start releasing some of that water soon.

Everything's going to be fine.
>breathe<

6 comments:

biebkriebels said...

Hope the rain will stop soon, but you never can tell. There is a lot of rain falling all over the world. Global warming?

AL said...

I think we are all holding our breath just a little bit more than usual considering the floods of 2011. Thankfully we aren't going to be in that situation. Stay dry Cara.

Ann said...

I was thinking of you when I saw the weather last night. Fingers crossed.

Mozette said...

Last year, when it rained this much, I didn't get much sleep. This is because the storm drain next to my place wasn't designed properly to take this much water and - my townhouse being on the lower side of the unit complex - flooded all the time. Well, okay, the carport did.

Well! Last September, it did just that! The storm drain overflowed right into my carport and my house came within inches of being yet another Insurance Claim... no thanks to the drain lid. So, the Body Corporate Chairperson (who is also my Dad) took off with it and fixed it. Now, it's been raining for 3 days straight and my carport is bone dry! :D

Alan said...

Good luck with that.... I'm still trying to work out what your photo is though...?

cara said...

yes I must admit it's not that obvious - it's a storm water drain. Try to imagine: 5.30am I decided to do this post and I had about 5 minutes to get a rainy shot before I had to get on and do other things - couldn't find my raincoat so went for the big fake fur coat I bought when I was in London.. so I'm out there on the road in my big fur coat and umbrella SWEATING and trying not to get the camera wet - or to get run over. I decided that I liked this storm water drain and wanted to get a really low angle - maybe with some nice fluffy water gurgling down it - but bending down low with the umbrella and coat and trying to watch for traffic, boiling hot... well it was all a bit much. I ended up just holding the camera at arms length and hoping for the best.

Related Posts with Thumbnails