Thursday, March 1, 2012

March Theme day: Electricity


Today is the first of the month which means it's theme day for those of us in the City Daily Photo gang. This month's theme is Electricity. So being storm season in Brisbane, my intention was to get out there and get the classic shot of lightning over the city but I always seemed to be working or in bed, or very comfortable with a glass of vino when the electrical storms passed through this past month. So I have gone for a shot of the generator at work which is at one of the TV stations up in Mt. Coot-tha. At this time of year with the weather being so charged with electric storms, and with a giant transmitter tower sitting on top of the building, you have to factor in the possibility of being struck by lightning. In the 5 years that I have worked in the building, we have been hit several times and each time this enormous generator keeps us on the air. We run it every time a storm passes near Mt. Coot-tha. It's about 2 metres high and 5 metres long, burns 9 litres of diesel an hour and is very, very noisy.

Click here to view thumbnails for all participants


6 comments:

Julie said...

Golly, when your building is struck by lightning, Cara, are you aware of it? Does it shake or anything? I had given no thought to backup to essential services. Communication being one such.

Carola said...

Great details, interesting post.

cara said...

No, not at all, Julie... The first time it happened I knew that there had been a power outage but it was so smooth I had to be told we had been struck!

Jim said...

Great theme day post.

Ann said...

Really interesting, never occurred to me that you would have back up generators but I guess all the stations would.

Wayne said...

A great shot.

Related Posts with Thumbnails