Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Deb Selling The Big Issue on Boundary Street


I was originally going to post this picture with just a few basic details but after I got chatting to Deb, she asked that I include what we talked about in this post...

Deb was abused as a kid by her step father. He and her mother took off when Deb was 18. She has two boys, 7 and 14 years old who live with their father, and she doesn't know where they are. She was late with the rent once and now she can't get a place of her own because she's been black-listed. Having no parents around hasn't helped. She says that she's in the process of getting photo ID... which will make getting her life back on track a lot easier.  She's currently staying at the homeless shelter in Roma Street.

If you see her around, buy a Big Issue from her.

5 comments:

Mozette said...

I'm around Boundary Street more often these days... So I will track her down and buy one from her soon (once my broken toe is mended from last Saturday). Best wishes to her in finding a more permanent place to live.

Rae Walter said...

Thanks to Deb for being prepared to share her story. Nice protrait Cara.

Alan said...

West End, right? I talked to her outside a bookshop last year. I really liked her. And yes, I did buy a Big Issue from her.

cara said...

Ha! There's a co-incidence!

faithandmeow said...

I recognise Deb - I volunteer in West End, and often see Deb walking up and down Boundary St - but I haven't seen her selling the Big Issue. She doesn't look as though things have gotten any better, sadly. I wish her all the best, her story is one I relate to myself.

Related Posts with Thumbnails