Sunday, February 22, 2009

Hanging Out, Looking Good

The Botanical Gardens in Mount Coot-tha are not just about plants. All sorts of wildlife are attracted there including this gorgeous looking spider. Click on the picture for a closer look - it really is pretty. This one, I'm reliably informed by Matthew Shaw at the inquiry centre of the Queensland Museum, is a Dome-web spider. Big fangs, painful bites initially but not harmful to humans after the initial chomp. I didn't really think about that when I was holding the camera millimetres from its head.

If you like spiders, here's another one I posted in January. If that's not enough for you, take a look at the spider section of the Queensland Museum website.

5 comments:

Julie said...

She is gorgeous - especially the spike in her back!

And the complexity of her web is awe-inspiring.

Annie said...

wow..great photo! Especially enlarged.

Thankyou, Annie

Sterl the Pearl's Daily Pics of Boulder said...

so cool! great shot.

Anonymous said...

This is a great picture! Pity I am suddenly suffering from arachnophobia.

Anonymous said...

Lovely photo, I too think spiders are incredible creatures. I have no problem with the odd one in my appartment, they can eat any fly they can catch, much better than flyspray.

Related Posts with Thumbnails