Monday, March 23, 2009

Miner (not Myna)

This native Australian honeyeater is the Noisy Miner bird and can be seen all over Brisbane. For a small bird it makes a big racket. It is often seen in groups bullying bigger birds like kookaburras and hawks, trying to steal their food or just generally annoying them. The noise in question is like a high pitched "PEE-PEE-PEE-PEE!"
The Noisy Miner is not to be confused with the introduced species, the Indian Myna bird, which is darker and a member of the starling family.



6 comments:

Annie said...

Thanks for that...you know more about them than I do...although I have plenty around all the time! You managed to get a great photo! Congratulations!
I love the traffic boxes also...I am always taking photos of them too!

Julie said...

These are a much sweeter variety of bird. Good capture, Cara.

Anonymous said...

The name is interesting because the behaviour of the birds is just like the common mynah found in Asia.

Perhaps they are a distant relative?

BTW I enjoy birding and this is an excellent photograph-thanks for sharing.

Hey Harriet said...

That's a great photo! These are such cheeky little birds. And yes, very noisy!

I recently discovered your blog & I'm loving it!

cara said...

Annie and Julie - THANKS your comments are always appreciated.

Mike - I think I read somehwre that the Australian bird was named after the Asian bird because of similar markings on the eyes... but don't quote me on that!

Harriet - Right back at you with your blog!

Teneale said...

oh i hate these birds so much. they chased a poor lost budgie into our yard, which has now made it's home in our birdcage for the past couple of years. he's a grumpy little bugger, but he keeps us entertained with his head bopping at the mirror !

Related Posts with Thumbnails